Depression isn’t a one size fits all type of deal, this means that depression varies from person to person. Since depression affects different people differently, they also portray symptoms in their own unique ways. There are some common, noticeable symptoms of depression that are easy to pinpoint, you can read more about them here. Contrastingly, there are symptoms that exist on the more subtle end of the spectrum. While being focused on the major symptoms, we sometimes tend to overlook the more subtle ones. So, to be more aware of subtle signs that someone may be depressed, we went searching on Reddit to hear it from those who personally experienced depression or knew someone who did. The following is a list we compiled of the subtle signs of depression that sometimes are overlooked or go unnoticed:
1. Loss of memory. It’s something I noticed about my depression, I find it harder and harder to remember stuff I’ve done with friends and family.
2. Not keeping up with your hygiene. Whether it’s not showering, brushing your teeth, or even combing your hair.
3. Being flakey. Cancelling on plans all the time, often last minute and with vague reasons.
4. When they start giving away stuff that is special to them and not having a good reason why
5. A tendency to isolate themselves to, “avoid being a burden to others.”
6. Excessive video watching/social media surfing or video gaming. In short – they don’t see meaning in their life or interaction with others but sink as much time as they have into escapism.
7. Pushing people away. It’s not always obvious but sometimes depressed people don’t want to let anyone in and feel like they’re a burden, so they close themselves off.
8. When someone that is talkative stops talking.
9. Going from extroverted to introverted
10. They’re more irritable than usual/before. Anger is often present with other symptoms of depression. Speaking as a psych professional.
11. Procrastinating, because everything feels like a chore
12. It is very common for people who are depressed to nap constantly and never want to get out of bed
13. Messy house. Dirty dishes. Empty fridge.
14. Having a slowed down mind, for example not being able to make decisions, reacting slowly to questions, zoning out, not taking the lead in conversations, generally not being as smart or knowledgable as normal, spelling or grammar mistakes, etc.
15. Being the jokster of the friend group. I know I compensated for being sad all the time with cracking jokes and seeming over happy all the time
16. They neglect the wellness of their body, whether it be by eating tons and tons of junk food, going without food for days, not drinking water, not sleeping, or sleeping too much. a depressed person will start to not care what happens to their body.
17. Complete and total apathy. Just not caring about anything.
18. Tired. Like unusually tired. Like don’t even wanna pick up a spoon tired. That’s how I get sometimes.
19. No opinions, no feelings, no care for how things go.
20. They never seem to be paying attention. Always need things repeated and you catch them off guard a lot when you talk to them in a group setting.
21. Like even when something really bad, or really good happens. You’ll notice little to no reaction at all.
22. Can’t make decisions because they’re sure every choice will go shitty
23. They joke around a lot to keep people from digging too deep at how they really feel.
24. you dont see the light in their eyes anymore.
25. When they make self-deprecating jokes all the time. If it’s every now and then, it’s probably a joke. If it’s all the time, they probably think it’s the truth.
Some people may naturally just have some of these tendencies, like not being the most hygienic person or making dark jokes. These signs do not immediately mean the person has depression. However, if you notice multiple signs, especially if they’re out of character for the person you’re observing, something could be going on.